Friday, May 15, 2009

sweet home indiana

Despite my eagerness to leave my home state, I find myself excited and even eager to take trips back to visit family. When I was growing up, my extended family lived within an hour's drive and we spent most holidays, birthdays, and random weekends with my Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, and Cousins. The stark contrast between my growing up years and my current situation (8 hours from home) didn't bother me much until we had Jude. Don't get me wrong - I love North Carolina and we are ridiculously happy here and are not thinking about moving back home, but it saddens me to know that Jude won't be growing up surrounding by his extended family as I did. Beyond that, I just miss them. There's something to be said for being around people who knew you as an awkward pre-teen with bad skin, a bad perm, and even worse clothing choices. It adds a good dose of humility to one's conversation and keeps one from getting too full of one's self. Not that those things describe me. Awkward stage? Me?

When Jude was about two months old - before he was diagnosed with reflux when we were in the midst of his all day/all night crying jags and I was struggling to realize I might have depression - Shawn promised me that we would make a trip to Indiana to see my family for an extended stay on Mother's Day. That single promise helped propel me through some rough nights when I wanted to pout out my lip and say, "I want my Mommy!" I had been looking forward to this trip for months! Jude did surprisingly well for a six month old being trapped in his carseat for eight hours, I'm super proud of him! Shawn and I loved our time with family and enjoyed watching Jude interact with his extended family. He (Jude) got a kick out of watching his cousins Avery, Asher, and Grace, and never failed to laugh at Grampy's duck noises. He was fascinated by his Uncle Jason and Aunt Rachael, and graced his Grammy with sloppy kisses on the cheek that he had previously reserved only for me. Shawn and I enjoyed being able to both get ready at the same time (as opposed to the hand the baby off game we usually play), eating our food without interruption, and having a few extra sets of hands to handle him when he got fussy. I'm thoroughly jealous of you Mammas who live near grandparents!

Because he loves us, Jude had a complete blow out in a gas station in Grayson as we were traveling back to North Carolina. His poo was all over his outfit, on his back, and well - it was disgusting. Call me crazy, but I think it's one of my favorite memories of the trip. Shawn and I were both disgusted and taking turns trying to clean up the mess without getting poo on the car seat, but couldn't stop laughing about it. Other favorite memories include going out (Jude-less) with my Mom and Sister for Mother's Day, pushing Jude in his umbrella stroller with Shawn through my hometown, getting to see so many of my family members on Sunday, and swinging on the front porch swing after Jude went to sleep, chatting with Shawn and my Dad.

It was a good trip.



This was pre-trip - tummy time in cloth diapers (with a drippy nose from the nasty cold he was working on getting over)
"Look at me! I can sit like a big boy!"


Hanging from Grammy and Grampy's front porch - our little monkey

Fascination with Uncle Jason

Watching Grampy cook hamburgers on Sunday afternoon



The kids (and their kids). Jason (my brother) and girlfriend Shatana, Rachael (my sister) and husband Gary, Shawn, Jude, and I, Jesse (my brother) and wife Sandy with their two, Avery and Asher.


Jude's six month half birthday celebration! Mommy...I mean Jude...was really wanting some ice cream cake



"MMmmmm...icing!"

Swinging on the front porch with Daddy


He got a bit of a sun burn on his nose, but he still loves those Daddy kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment