Saturday, August 22, 2009

tales of the nursery

Oh, the fun that ensues in the church nursery! Since Jude isn't in daycare, I feel strongly that it's important for him to be in the nursery on Sunday mornings, and during the school year, on Wednesday evenings. Beyond the obvious benefits of learning about God, it's great socialization and a chance for Jude to learn to take instructions and discipline from someone other than Mom and Dad. Shawn and I consider ourselves intentional parents who are also laid back...which is why we thought it was pretty funny when we picked Jude up on Sunday and saw this:



Judeabug got his first bite! The nursery workers said he didn't cry at all - in fact, they didn't even know he'd been bitten until they saw the mark on his arm. I have full confidence that in a few months, he'll be the one doling out the bites. But seriously - this is pretty impressive marking here, this kid must've had some chompers!

We like to tell Jude about the time he got kicked out of a nursery. After his second night in the hospital nursery, one of the nurses barrelled into our room at two o'clock in the morning, shoved 2-day old screaming Jude in my arms, and said, "We've tried everything and can't get him to stop screaming," and promptly left. He continued screaming for a couple of hours until he passed out from sheer exhaustion. Turns out that the poor kid was most likely screaming because his throat was on fire from acid reflux...but we didn't know that until about four months later.

I love it when I would tell people that Jude spit up a lot and was very, very difficult to put down for a nap, and they say, "oh, mine spit up a lot, too - it's not a problem!" ...and then a couple of hours later, they're calling us because the kid WON'T stop screaming and has ruined their clothes with his ridiculous amount of vomiting. In the first six months of Jude's life, I had a hard time letting other people watch him - not because I was overly protective or because I didn't trust others - but because no matter how much I warned, he always proved himself to be a particularly difficult baby. I think I can safely say that he's coming out of that, and I honestly attribute it to him growing out of acid reflux. Instead of screaming for two hours before taking a nap, he might fuss for a minute or two (if at all) before settling down.

BUT...before he did start growing out of acid reflux, we were handed a post-it note by our Children's Minister with the words, "thought you guys might get a kick out of this," scrawled at the top:

*****(name of the Children's Minister) - Jude M. threw up about 12 times (or more) over the course of 2 hrs. The carpet probably needs to be addressed. *****(name of nursery worker) claimed that he was "marking his territory."

And get a kick out of it, we did! Welcome to our world, my friends. Welcome to our world.


2 comments:

  1. I'm a friend of Patrice's and followed her link over here. After reading this wanted to let you know that I could seriously appreciate your post. I don't think that my first daughter stopped screaming for the first few weeks of her life (until we figured out the reflux). We walked around with towels instead of burp cloths. One thing that I still remember was making her bed in layers-I would put on a mattress pad and sheet, then another pad and another sheet, and sometimes even a third. This way in the middle of the night when she had vomited all over her crib, I could just peel a layer off and not have to try to make a bed in the middle of the night. :)

    I'm glad to hear that your little one is starting to grow out of it. I was so overjoyed when I realized we were getting to that point. To look at Rory now and her eating habits, you'd never know that she once had reflux. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome perspective you and Shawn possess! I am sure the many kisses you will apply to that ENORMOUS bite mark will ensure that it will disappear quickly:)
    Hang in there Judeabug...your Mama's looking out for you!
    Have a great week! Aimee Pence

    ReplyDelete