Wednesday, October 20, 2010

a letter to cohen

Dear Cohen,

I meant to write this letter to you a week ago, on your two month birthday. I'm sorry to say that I didn't get that letter written, but I figured writing it when you're ten weeks old is better than nothing, right? I know, I know - chalk it up to therapist fodder about being the second child. Truthfully though, I happen to think you got the better end of the deal. Daddy and I are much more chill, relaxed, and prepared parents to you. But then, this letter isn't about Daddy and I, it's about you.

Cohen, you are ten weeks old and I already can't imagine how our family ever could've been complete without you. You already have such a distinct personality and are definitely a people person. Most of the time when you start fussing in your bouncy seat, it's because you want to have eye contact with someone. As soon as Daddy, Jude, or I are near enough for you to have eye contact with, your little face lights up in a grin. And that's another thing, sweet Cohen. You have the world's most charming smile. You start off with a little side smirk, but the smile soon overtakes your face. Your eyes crinkle and shine and your whole little body scrunches up with your grin. It's the most charming thing I've ever seen, and amazingly the world around me disappears when I see that smile.

You had your two month check up this past Friday, and you were 11 lbs. even and in the 16th percentile. Great job, bud! You got a few shots and screamed like I've never heard you scream before, but you calmed down once I could pick you up and give you some lovin'. After experimenting with my diet and talking to your doctor, it looks like you definitely have a sensitivity to dairy. It's not entirely surprising - your brother does and I did as a baby, too. I can tell that your little belly is getting better about digesting as you get older, but I'm staying away from milk, cheese, yogurt, whipped cream, etc. so that your tummy isn't in pain all the time. I told your Daddy last week that once you get to a year old and I'm not nursing you any longer, I'm going to have one heck of a cheese party. Although now that I see that in writing, it sounds a little gross, so maybe I'll forego the cheese party and just enjoy some ice cream and pizza one night.

Cohen, you rolled over once from your tummy to your back, but don't seem terribly interested in doing it again. You hate tummy time with an intense passion right now, but you love to work on holding up your head when I'm holding you over my shoulder. As I walk through crowded places, I hear people behind me exclaiming, "Oh, what a cute baby!" as you look over my shoulder with your bright and alert eyes. Speaking of your eyes, Daddy says he thinks you have my eyes, but as you get older I see more and more of your Daddy in you! You're starting to get interested in bright colors and things dangling above you, and you spend most of your day kicking your legs all around.

You've been pretty consistent about sleeping at least six hours a night, and we've learned that you love to be swaddled. You more than love it, you insist on it. Even though you cry the entire time I'm swaddling you, as soon as I pick you up, your little eyes close and your body relaxes. You simply don't sleep well when you're not swaddled - I think those little arms and legs keep you awake and you like the secure feeling of being swaddled.

You and Jude continue to get along amazingly well. Your big brother does a great job of being gentle with you (except for that time he threw a die cast train several feet away and it hit you right on the head. That was an accident, though), and sometimes he just touches your feet and giggles. You love when Jude crouches down next to your boppy and talks to you. You and he make eye contact and really look like you're talking to each other.

So Cohen, at ten weeks old, you're pretty much amazing. You have my heart, and I love you so much more than I thought possible. I'm honored that God chose us to steward and care for your precious life. We love you, sweet Cohen.

3 comments:

  1. Pictures!!! And quit giving me baby fever : ) My kids are right, I am bossy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. two months already?

    i love this letter, and I'm thrilled that you're putting your heart in words. it's priceless my dear friend, priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cohen,

    There's virtually no chance that you know who I am, or would even remember me at this point. I have such little influence in your life, and I only get to see you once or twice a week (if I'm so lucky). But the truth is, little Cohen, that you are amazingly special to me. From the moment I found out your parents were expecting you, to the 4 am phone call your dad gave me when you were ready to bless us with your presence, I've prayed for you everyday and have been overwhelmed with excitement to get to know you. Your parents and your brother, though at some point in the future will drive you nuts, love you so much it's unbelievable. And when parents love a child as much as your parents love you and Jude, other people feel that. And I have certainly benefitted from that love.

    I am so honored to be have been a part of your life for the past 10 weeks, and I look forward to hearing and reading and SEEING many more stories about you in the future :)

    ReplyDelete