Wednesday, June 17, 2009

happy birthday, mom!

So today is my Mom's birthday. In the spirit of writing little notes to Jude each month on his birthday, I thought I'd do the same for Mom. Besides, she hasn't gotten nearly the credit she deserves for being the amazing Mom that she is, and I think the whole world (...or all three people who read this blog) need to know the truth.

Dear Mom,

I just wanted to make sure you know how much I love you. I'm told often how much I remind people of you, and I take that as just about the highest compliment I could ever receive. You have strength, dignity, and grace that I can only pray to inherit. When I think back to what your life must've been like when we were little - four kids under the age of six - I'm amazed at how well you held everything together. Without saying a word, you've taught me how to handle issues in life as challenges to be overcome with grace rather than struggles to take passively. You taught me how to rely on God when things look hopeless, and you taught me to give glory to God when things look optimistic. Throughout my life, a steady constant has been your Bible on the end table. I can even picture it now - it was a pink paperback women's study Bible with a cream crocheted bookmark sticking out the top. I don't ever remember you giving the "Jesus loves you and died for your sins," talk. Maybe you did and I forget, but I do clearly remember you living your life in a way that I couldn't help but see Him through you. Through your life, you impressed on me what it means to forgive, to ask for forgiveness with a humble spirit, to be honest, and to be a woman of noble character.

I want to grow up to be just like you, Mom. I want to have your strength, and I even want to have the childlike wonder you've retained. One of my favorite memories is the year we got you Winnie The Pooh slippers for Christmas. You sat on the edge of the couch, put those slippers on, and bounced your feet so that the Winnie The Pooh head bobbled back and forth. And you giggled. If I remember correctly, you giggled every time you put those slippers on. Thank you for being a Mom who got down on the floor and played with us, for being a Mom who took walks with me when I was a frustratingly selfish Jr. High kid, for being a Mom who came and stayed in my dorm with me when I was in college, for being a Mom who cooked me a fatty homemade omelet every morning that you were here after I had Jude, and for being a Mom who prays every single day for her four kids. Can you imagine the trouble we would've gotten into if you hadn't been praying for God's protection over us?! :) Most importantly, thank you for being a Mom who showed me that it's okay to not be a perfect Mom. Thank you for trying your best and then leaving it in God's hands. Thank you for loving me so much and being a clear representation of God's selfless love for His children.

Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, he praises her. Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all. Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful letter you wrote to your mom. This is the first time I ever commented on your blog but wanted to let you know that I have been following your blog for a while now. I just love hearing about jude bug and every milestone he accomplishes. I miss my son being his age. My baby will be 5yrs old in September so cherish the time you have while he is still a baby. It seems like yesterday my baby was born and he is going on 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous letter. Your mom is so blessed to have you as her daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...I needed a good cry this morning=)

    ReplyDelete