Saturday, September 11, 2010

emotional recovery

From the moment I found out I was pregnant with Cohen, one of my biggest fears was postpartum depression. If you've experienced depression - especially PPD - you're more likely to deal with it after subsequent births, and that fact hung over my head like a cloud. Towards the end of my pregnancy, I did my best to organize my life (freezing meals, working ahead on budget, taking a Serwa Chic maternity leave, etc.) as if my head would be floating around in a thick fog for a couple of months - as that was how I felt after I had Jude. I knew this time around I didn't have the luxury of being too stubborn to ask for help or take medicine if needed - you might be able to hide depression from an infant, but a toddler can't help but feel the effects of a Mommy who isn't okay.

I've spent the past four weeks carefully watching myself - checking my emotions, making sure I get as much sleep as possible, and monitoring any feelings of being overwhelmed or irrationally frustrated. Shawn has been purposeful to check in with me, and has been awesome about making calls for help when I'm feeling overly tired, sad, or overwhelmed. When Cohen was about two weeks old, I had two or three days that scared me. I hadn't been getting much sleep and was dealing with a personal issue that was consuming. I found myself spacing out, shutting down, crying easily, getting angry easily, and feeling like I was emotionally sinking. I thankfully came out of it, but I tell you that only to say that I kind of feel like I'm working to out-run postpartum depression. I fear that if I go several days without enough sleep, if I let frustrations or day to day decisions overwhelm me, if I don't ask for help when I need it, or if I keep my emotions and thoughts bottled up, that PPD will catch up with me. And I worry that if I let it catch up, I won't be able to get away and it will consume me.

To clarify, I don't think I'm dealing with PPD this time around. I have so much joy that I just didn't have when Jude was an infant. Beyond the usual Mommy Brain, I'm able to think clearly and make rational decisions. I'm not overwhelmed when Cohen cries, I'm not crying for no reason, I'm not getting irrationally angry, and I'm able to feel happy, excited, and content. It's incredible how much easier taking care of a newborn is when you're not coping with PPD.

But while I'm feeling great right now, I know that I'll have a bad morning, afternoon, or even whole day. I know I'll get tired and impatient, and probably even weepy. I also know that just because I'm okay at four weeks postpartum, I'm not immune from finding myself once again battling postpartum depression when Cohen is two months old...four months old...or even six months old. I know how easily a bad day can turn into a bad week, which can turn into a bad month. I'm doing my best to say ahead of PPD. I'm doing what I can and am thankful that Shawn is doing what he can to keep me from that slippery slope. At the moment, I'm outrunning postpartum depression, and my earnest prayer is that I can look back in a year at this time of our lives without regret, but with joy at watching our new family grow and change.

6 comments:

  1. I'm praying and believing with you. I can't imagine how hard it is to deal with PPD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it's easier for you this time around! If you need ANYTHING, you know you can call me! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we're all here for you and behind you. I'm really looking forward to the guys going to that game (whenever it is) so we can hang for several hours. I miss you, and last night was so fun! I LOVE that the boys are old enough to pay attention to and interact with each other. I was so happy with how Jonah did over there, and you just have no idea how much joy it brought me to have that experience... and to be with you guys. So anyway, I love you and I'm part of your team! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I admire your vulnerability and honesty...

    and listen, I usually don't do this, because I know the danger behind recommending a book could equal a serious annoyance with said book before one even reads it, but I have a book for you.

    Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist.

    I know you probably have zero time to read, but in case you do, I recommend it. I think you would really like it.

    Anyway, that's all for now, mucho love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To each of you, thank you. Anne, I have no time to read right now, but I'm going to check into that book anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having been a peripheral bystander in your struggle with PPD with Jude, I am overwhelmingly happy to hear that you're "outrunning" it now. I've always admired your strength and emotional prowess when it came to ministry and personal matters, and now watching you as a mother... you're just astounding. And as always, let me know if you need anything :)

    ReplyDelete