Saturday, September 5, 2009

accountability

I let it out there, I admitted that I wasn't happy with how I looked and that I was perfectly capable of doing something about it. I COULD just let it slide, not really post any other thoughts about it, and pretend like it never happened - but I'm determined, and so I know I need to follow up. Maybe even on a weekly basis.

So good news, medium news, and bad news. Let's get the bad news over with. I haven't walked or run this week. At all. I did some crunches one day while Jude was playing (which he thought were hilarious), and haven't exercised one iota beyond that. The first morning, I genuinely didn't hear the alarm go off and slept right through it. The morning after that, I was having a super stressful week and decided I needed to spend time with God. The mornings after...well...I just didn't want to get out of bed.

The medium news is that I've done better about what foods I'm putting into my body. Not perfect - but better. I'm also very seriously considering signing up for the Mistletoe 5K. It was the last race I ran before we found out we were pregnant with Jude, and it's super fun. People wear jingle bells on their shoelaces, run with reindeer antlers, and even dress up as Saint Nick himself. Anyone wanna run it with me? (And by "run it with me," I mean...most likely run way ahead of me).

I'm thinking that not embarrassing myself at a race will help with some of that "I don't want to get out of my cozy bed, put my shoes on, and run," feeling.

Okay, and the good news? I lost two pounds. Yes, my friends. Two down. Just twenty-eight to go.

So moving on a little bit - Shawn and I have been so blessed to have gotten some time alone together lately. My parents were down a couple of weekends ago and one night, Shawn and I put Jude down, and then headed out on a date. Jude slept just fine that night and didn't make a peep, and it was so nice to see there really IS life after 9:00pm. I suppose I forgot that stores were open, restaurants were open, and people were still OUT at that ridiculous time of night. We got some pizza and ice cream and just talked. And only a very small bit about Jude. We talked and held hands and cuddled and kissed and laughed and ate and just remembered why we fell in love with one another.

A few weeks ago, Shawn asked if I'd be interested in going to a Lincoln Brewster concert with him. My response was, "Um...I don't know. It'd mean someone else has to put Jude down for the night, and we've never had anyone do that, so I'm not sure." Shawn took that as, "Sure! Sounds great!" and got us both tickets. I wasn't thrilled at first, but Shawn's really good at kind of forcing me to do things to stretch myself, and ultimately - to take care of myself. So we enlisted the help of Terri Christie, her daughter Kayla (one of my amazing small group girls), and son Brandon. I left very detailed instructions and stayed entirely too long at the house, trying to make sure I remembered to tell them everything, but they were amazing and Jude did just fine. They said Jude didn't cry one tear and only got a little fussy when they were putting on his pjs. Even if they WERE lying just to make me feel better...we really appreciate that we were able to trust them with our Judeabug.

Shawn and I (and several friends) left at 4:00 to drive to Charlotte, and got back around midnight. Do you know how much time we had together? Eight hours. Eight hours! Do you know the last time we had that much baby-free time? I don't think we've had that much time together since Jude's been born. It was wonderful. I enjoyed the concert, but truthfully - I enjoyed that Shawn was standing right next to me and that I felt like his bride again...instead of just his partner.

Are you ready for some more Jude cuteness? We have apparently raised a very environmentally considerate little boy, because he's very concerned with making sure all of our doors are shut. I can just hear him saying, "Hey! We're not air conditioning the outside, are we?" So please enjoy Jude's fascination with our bathroom door. AND...know that ridiculous noises I'm making are because we were playing a game. He'd hide behind the door, and then peek out...I'd make the ridiculous noise you hear, he'd laugh...then hide again. You do it, too - you just don't put your ridiculousness on display for the world the see. Me, on the other hand? I have no shame.

4 comments:

  1. Adorable video!

    Miles is totally obsessed with doors. He wants to open them, he wants to close them. Usually all the doors in the hallway are shut, though. Now that he can walk, he's into EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is AWESOME! Congrats on the two lbs! The exercise thing is so hard to find time for, isn't it? That jingle marathon thing sounds cute... you'll have to do a mini video of people jingling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JEN! i can't believe i just now found this. glad to find you on here. :) i don't update often but i'm glad to catch up on your all's life. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista, I'm glad Jude's not the only one! I'm just thrilled that something will entertain him for a few minutes. Although I'm always a little worried that he'll close a door and lock himself in a room.

    Nancy, as long as I don't have to be in the video, I'll be glad to take one of the 5K!

    Anne Marie - I'm glad you found this, too! I really thought I'd passed the link to this blog onto you, but I must not have. This is the easiest way I've found to share pictures and videos of Jude with friends and family. If you don't mind, I'll put your blog in the "stuff i read" list so that I can catch yours when you post. :)

    ReplyDelete