Monday, October 19, 2009

google settles all our arguments

How sad is that? Allow me to illustrate.

We had an ongoing debate as to how the brand of "I can't believe it's not butter" is referred in England. Why would we debate something so ridiculous, you ask? In our weird, convoluted way I think we're flirting. Or maybe we're just bored. I haven't decided yet.

My vote was that the English version was called, "Butter - or is it?" Twenty minutes of google searching later, we found this:




Shawn: 1
Jen: 0

Now, there's something that you need to know about my husband. He sees the world in cartoon characters. I would say with 70% of the people we meet, he will later tell me, "That person looks like such and such cartoon character," and it's usually a Muppet. Early in our relationship, when I showed up to class wearing a turtleneck sweater and my black rimmed glassed, he told me I looked like a Sexy Velma.


I'm still unsure if that was a compliment or not.

Several months ago, Shawn called Jude "Dopey." You would think that after knowing Shawn for almost eight years now, I would know that his cartoon character to actual person analogies are pretty accurate, but I still disputed the fact that our son looks like Dopey. We googled a picture of Dopey, and well...you be the judge:




Shawn: 2
Jen: 0
One night, Shawn and I started debating whether Frisch's Big Boy is referred to primarily as Frisch's or Big Boy. This may or may not have been spurred on by the fact that my hair was doing a weird flip that Shawn said looked like Big Boy's hair.

I told Shawn he was crazy, and that Big Boy is the name of the mascot, Frisch's is the name of the restaurant. Shawn asserts that the biggest sign in front of the restaurant says "Big Boy," on it - so it is therefore referred to as Big Boy. I assert that's ridiculous. You don't just refer to McDonald's as The Golden Arches because that's their sign. Nobody says, "Let's go to The Golden Arches," without everyone else replying, "Dude, it's called McDonald's."

A few google searches later, we found out that apparently referring to the restaurant as "Frisch's" is a peculiarity specific to the Cincinnati area. Kind of like beating the Steelers a few weeks ago, but whatever. We won't go there.

Shawn: 3
Jen: 0

Just this morning, as I was putting food on Jude's highchair tray for him to eat, I told him that he was getting a smorgasborg of food. Except that I was in random-baby-talk mode, which means I said something like, "Judeabag, look at you! You're getting a smorgasborg of food! That's right, kiddo - Smorg. Ess. Borg."

Shawn looked at me like I was all cute and amusing, and said, "What'd you call it?" I answered, "A smorgesborg. Why?"

Honey," he said (very patronizingly, I might add), "It's smorgasbord...with a D." We argued for a minute, with me making the point that I happen to be the reader of the family and am really the familial authority on how things are pronounced.

And then Shawn brought up the fact that until I was in late high school, I thought hors devours was pronounced, "oars day vores." In my house, we just called 'em snacks, so I had only read the word, and never heard it pronounced.

Since there's really no way to reply to that fact with dignity, I just said, "We'll see." I can't lie. Hitting up google to settle this debate was one of the first things I did. Let's just say

Shawn: 4
Jen: 0


Oh google. At once both a good and reliable friend and my provingshawnwrong nemesis.

1 comment:

  1. We have actually used Google to settle a very similar argument about Frisch's vs. Big Boy as well!

    Seriously, what did people do before the Internet? Look this stuff up in BOOKS??

    ReplyDelete