Thursday, October 15, 2009

what to do with a coletrane







I feel badly for our dog, I really do. Eleven months ago, he was pretty much king of this place. He was allowed up on the bed with us and his needs were met and discussed with thorough interest. Shawn and I both spent intentional time rolling around the floor and playing with him, and I tried to take him on a run or walk a couple of times a week (before bedrest, anyway). Now, the poor guy is lucky if Shawn or I remember to feed him by 5:00pm and if we give him fifteen minutes of dog petting goodness after Jude goes down for the night.

Cole's a good dog. He's very loving, he's protective, and has not ever...not once...growled at or threatened Jude. Not even when Jude crawls underneath him (while he's eating) to get to his food. Not even when Jude uses Cole's head as a stepping stone to the coffee table. Not even when Jude decides to take Cole's kong (Cole's one and only toy in a menagerie of plastic squeeky things). Cole just looks at Jude like, "what the heck, dude?" and calmly walks away.

So I know we have a great dog - I do. But we also have a dog who barks at the neighbors ALL THE TIME. We have a dog who - at least twice a week - poops or pees in our house. On our freshly cleaned, baby crawled on carpet. We have a dog who decides that 3am right next to our bed is the best time and place to obnoxiously clean every last flippin' part of his body. We have a dog who loves to sit outside Jude's door while we're trying to rock him down for a nap, and has the uncanny timing to stand up and thwap his huge ears, jangle his collar, and make a frustrating amount of noise right as we're laying Jude in the crib.

And did I mention that Cole's decided our living room is a perfect place for his bathroom needs? Because that's the one that's really getting to me lately. Our home isn't perfectly clean, but we do our best to keep it tidy and at the very least - sanitary. In looking around my living room right now, I think that if you dropped by, you'd be impressed at its cleanliness for having an 11 month old and a sewing business. Sure, everything heavy or breakable is on top of our highest furniture - making it look strange - but clean, nonetheless.

And I don't have a lot of spare time. I've become an expert in efficiency, and I have very specific tasks planned for the amount of attention Jude requires during the day. I have things that I can do with one hand planned for the times he needs me to hold him, I have things that I can do with him crawling at my feet planned for the times he needs me nearby but not necessarily playing with him, I have things planned that need intense concentration for when he's napping or content to play alone, and I have things planned that can be done in spurts (like writing a blog or shooting out emails) planned for when he's in his highchair and needs intermittent attention (like giving him bits of food).

See? It's crazy, but yes...I even plan out when I can go pee.

And cleaning up dog poop? NOT. IN. THE. PLAN.

And while I'm grumbling about wasting my time and all the things I need to be doing with that time, I know in the back of my mind that it's partly our fault. Our once beloved dog is now on the bottom of the priority list.

And part of that, I know, is healthy. Jude will always come before Cole. Always. If we need to spend money on Jude's college fund or Cole getting some kind of $5,000 surgery - Jude's going to win. If both Cole and Jude are in a life threatening situation - Jude's getting saved. Cole's a dog. Jude's a human. Jude wins.

But I also know that as responsible dog owners and lovers, we need to take better care of Coletrane...or give him to someone who will. And so this is the crux at which we stand.

I don't want to give him away (and I know Shawn doesn't either). Jude's finally getting old enough to have a sort of sibling-like relationship with Cole. Jude laughs so hard when Cole does silly things, and Cole and I have a similar understanding of being driven nuts by Jude sometimes. Cole keeps me safe when Shawn's gone on trips, and that daggone dog loves the heck out of us. He handled taking the brunt of my postpartum depression with grace and an unconditional love surpassed only by my Savior.

But we can't keep him cooped up in our tiny house and expect him to behave, and I can't keep cleaning our carpets like a madwoman twice a week. This isn't working, and something has to change.

So I'm asking you - blog friends - for advice. I've been looking into invisible dog fences and would love any thoughts or reviews you have on those (especially on how not to spend a lot of money). How do we take care of our sweet puppy in this different phase of our life? What do we need to do differently, and how can we fit in taking care of his needs with the current demands of our all too busy life?

8 comments:

  1. Aww! Coltrane is so cute and SMOOTH like Sadie! I feel your pain, sister! I SO identify with your post. Did the poopin' & peein' just start when Jude was born? I know your frustration, especially with Jude's hands on the floor and in the mouth. I wish I had some advice for you. Have you contacted your vet? Maybe the dog whisperer's website? Maybe he is having doggie anxiety and though he's not growling or anything at Jude, his way of expressing his anxiety is accidents. Maybe the vet can prescribe a doggie prozac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same issues! Well, not the indoor bathroom problems, but definitely the lack of a attention problems. I've tried to spend some time every day outside with the dogs and Daphne. She and I will go sit outside and watch the dogs run around or throw the ball for them. I do it during Daphne's grouchiest parts of the day, because being outdoors and being with the dogs always cheers her up. David will also go out a couple of times a week and just throw the ball for 10 minutes. I wish we could walk them (they are both horrible with leashes--our fault) because it would be perfect to take them with us on one of our frequent walks. I always tell myself it will get better when Daphne can be up and about running and playing with them. This is just a short season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, I feel you. Our dogs are driving me crazy. They have taken to peeing and pooping wherever they please. I don't mind if they have an accident in the kitchen (as gross as it sounds), it's easier to clean up in there than on the carpet.

    I can highly recommend crate-training for times when you just need Cole out of your hair. Our dogs sleep in their crates in the garage (when it gets too cold, we will move them into the kitchen (which is right off of the garage). But they definitely have "crate time" when we are gone or just need a break.

    We have been at our wits end with them lately and at times just want them gone. But I know that would be the easy way out, even though it would be hard. I think we just need to work harder on meeting their needs (that's me talking to me, not me talking to you).

    I'm sure that doesn't help much (except the crate-training recommendation maybe), but please know that you're not alone! I think pet issues after adding a child are really common. I have considered sending them to some kind of training school but I'm afraid they're too old for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, the bathroom habits were an issue before Jude was born, but only like once a month. I have a feeling it's more our lack of time than him acting out - though I do think that might be a part of it.

    Melissa - I really do wish we had enough land or a fence so that Cole COULD run around. I do think that'd help a lot. We live on a relatively busy road, though, and even though Cole's afraid of cars, I still worry when he runs away (and he does run away - he doesn't understand just staying in our yard). We do have a 50ft lead tied to a tree that we sometimes use. should probably use that more - especially for times when he has to go to the bathroom but i don't have time to wait for him to find the perfect spot.

    krista- we had him in a crate, but got rid of it - mostly because there wasn't any place to put it that didn't make the house look hideous. That is something we can think about, though, pulling that back out.

    Thank you guys, for your suggestions! We're still trying to work through what he needs and how much we can handle. I *think* we've decided to go ahead and keep him. He IS a good dog, and I think we'd both regret not having him in a couple of years.

    It looks like I just need to give the sweet puppy some more attention and time outside. I'm thinking i might start with taking him on walks with me once a week or so, as well.

    you guys are awesome - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh & I don't have a baby, but we do have a crazy hyperactive mess of a mutt with major separation anxiety issues. So I thought maybe I'd throw in a few things that worked for us, just in case they could help you!
    As far as the barking, we were able to cure that with water and a spray bottle. Every time he barked unnecessarily, we'd squirt him on the back while telling him No. He would stop immediately. It only took 3 days before he completely stopped barking at inanimate objects. Even after just a few times, all we had to do was pick up the spray bottle, and he'd stop barking. We left it nearby on the coffee table or anywhere easily accessible for awhile. Just its presence was enough of a deterrent. He still barks territorily at people who come to the door, which I'm thankful for, but he no longer barks at stupid things. If it does work, maybe you could try spraying him each time you catch him in the act of relieving himself in the house? If he associates the spray bottle with punishment, it might be enough to keep him from going? Otherwise, crating Charlie, at least while we're gone, completely cured his tendency to relieve himself while we were away. We've also noticed a huge difference in behavior since we've moved into a house with a yard and he's been able to run laps around the property. Maybe an underground fence would do the trick for Cole, but I hear those can get pretty expensive. Maybe the vet might be able to help offer some suggestions over the phone? Good luck, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys! I just wanted to tell you that we do have a dog but havent been blessed with a baby yet. Our dog is a beagle though and is in the house, your probably thinking that we are nuts that its an outside dog and probably smells but he is overly spoiled much like Cole. Except he does go to a groomer for and anti-stink bath. When we first got him my husband purchased an invisible fence. Let's just say we love it! Its wireless and just sits in your corner. You dont need a company to come out and put it in you just plug it in the wall and train him. When we trained Ace with the commands we had a shcok collar (we never shcoked him) there was a beep sound that was a warning that he wasnt listening. That is what this fence does, beeps as a warning but once he is over the line he will get a shock for every 8 seconds he is out for up to a minute. Ace has always returned after the first shock (he is normally chasing a rabbit). Its great and he seems pretty happy with it. It cost us $200 but after that just the batteries that you can buy at the store (we do it every month because we are afraid of him running away). My sister-in-law has the one that is installed professionally and her boxer gets out a lot and you have to get the batteries from the company and it seems a little expensive. For us its great and when I was baby-sitting a set of twins he was happy to go out during naptime do his business, sniff and come back in for his nap. And in everyday with us we can get ready for our day, make dinner and clean and he is happy outside and comes in when we are ready to go to work (he comes to work with me). So I highly recommend the invisible fence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie - what brand is the fence you use?

    Amy - thanks! We do use a spray bottle for Cole for barking and getting into stuff he shoudln't (he took a particular liking to Jude's paficiers there for awhile). It's funny how much the spray bottle scares him! He usually poops/pees at a time when we're not home, or when I'm back in Jude's bedroom with him - so catching him in the act of that isn't really realistic.

    I didn't realize that you guys had moved into a house with a yard - that's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://ps.factoryoutletstore.com/details/14951-9044/PetSafe-Wireless-Dog-Fences-PIF-300.html

    This is the fence that we use. Sorry about the price but it is $230 but it comes with everything you need along with batteries so that is collar, fence, batteries, and the wireless transmitter. But honestly Ace loves it and it is worth the money. Another good thing is when we go camping with my in-laws Ace and still go and it goes with us and he's already trained with it, so if by chance you move you take it and don't have to have a company come out again to install it so your still going to save money on it.

    ReplyDelete