Tuesday, November 10, 2009

364 days old

I don't know if you guys realize this, but Jude is 364 days today. Tomorrow. TOMORROW! He'll be one year old. One. ONE! One?!

I'm excited and a little weirded out at the same time. I have an abnormal affinity for lists, so let me list for you my points in both the excitement and weirded out categories so we can determine whether I'm more excited or more weirded out.

Excitement:
-We can turn the carseat around - wooHOO!
-No more bottles and formula. Sippy cups and whole milk - here we COME!
-Walking should be right around the corner, and as I mentioned before Jude gets more content as he gets more independent. Plus, I think he'll have a cute little toddle/waddle/walk thing going.
-He has survived his first year and is alive and well. When I look back over this year, I'm a little amazed and a lot proud at how Shawn and I handled the new state of our lives.
-No more talking about Jude in months. Shawn has laid down the law that we will not say that Jude is 17 months, or 22 months - or however old he is. He claims that takes too much thinking on the part of the questioner, so to make it easy for everyone we'll say, "one year," and then, "a year and a half," and then, "almost two years." It's not really an issue that gooses my gander, but I'll gladly comply.
-In the last month we've seen a jump in our ability to have a real relationship with Jude. He knows who we are, can say our names, and looks for us. He smiles at us, and Shawn and I each have little inside jokes with him. He's starting to point and make sounds as to his like or dislike of something, and we're both excited to see that kind of interaction continue!

Weirded Out:
-I have a one year old! I no longer have an infant or a baby, but a full fledged, independent, temper throwing, mischievous toddler.
-I've only lost 1/3 of the baby weight from my pregnancy. You know, that time I was pregnant an entire year ago. Geez.
-I pulled out a pair of Jude's newborn shoes the other day and was amazed at how tiny they were. Shawn and I watched a video we have of Jude when he was less than two weeks old, and were fascinated by his little face, his tiny hands, and his little sweet cry. Was he EVER that young?!
-People are starting to ask about "the next one." This isn't a question I mind from friends and family who are asking out of genuine care for our family. But this IS a question that does indeed goose my gander when people say in passing, "It's time to start havin' another one!" How do I answer that? What should I reply? "Actually, maim, we had a tough time conceiving Jude, I had a dramatic pregnancy, and then I went through postpartum depression, so we think it's wise to give ourselves a bit of a break before having another." Or...what I really want to say is, "Ummm...excuse me? I don't tell you when to have unprotected sex, so I'd appreciate you not bossing me around."

Too much?

Instead, I just smile and keep walking.

So I have six in the "excited" category and four in the "weirded out" category. Just as I expected - more excited. :)

I found a video of Jude from several months ago that I never had the chance to post. Please enjoy Daddy's and Jude's "Dancey Dance" time (and Jude's bald head- in comparison, he has a ridiculous amount of hair now!):


3 comments:

  1. Happy Early Birthday, Jude!!

    It's so exciting!

    I still refer to Miles in terms of months, though, and I think I will until he's two. There's so much development that happens between years 1 and 2, it helps to be able to say "He's 15 months". I also noticed that at the pharmacy, they have his age in months still. I wonder if when he turns two if it will just say "2". It is fun to say you have a "1 year old" though!!

    Oh! And we still have Miles rear-facing. He'll be rear-facing until his convertible seat doesn't allow him to be rear-facing anymore, which is at 30 or 35 lbs.

    And tell those nosy people to mind their own business about "the next one." You tell them you're busy enjoying your 1 year old :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Happy pre-birthday, Jude!!! I totally can relate to this post. Its so bittersweet, isn't it? I was going through Noah's clothes and got so sad when I saw one of his newborn outfits next to his 1 year outfit. LOVE the video! Jude is so tiny and bald and unmobile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats so crazy how fast a year goes, i will be having a baby in may and i am sure their first year will go by in the blink of an eye.

    I would reccomend keeping your baby rear facing as long as possible, it's the safest way for them to ride in the car, most seats allow you to do this for a long time!! yay. Safety first.

    ReplyDelete