Sunday, June 20, 2010

of fatherhood

You know, it's not hard to be a father. We all know that all it takes is a little recklessness and bam - welcome to fatherhood. No, being a father isn't tough. Being a Daddy, though? One of the toughest jobs in the world.

I don't think many would disagree with me when I say that the world is littered with defunct and ineffective fathers. I might even go so far as to say it's a big reason our world is so screwed up. But if you look closely, really closely, you'll see that the world is also speckled with incredible Daddys. They're not easy to spot, but the symptoms are all the same. Children who feel safe. Kids who are disciplined sternly but not harshly. Wives who are loved with passion and faithfulness. Families that are stable and who look to Dad to better understand God.

I take Father's Day very seriously in this house because I know the mess our family would be in if Shawn weren't the incredible Daddy that he is. I know God better because of the sacrifices Shawn has made for our family. I understand grace more deeply because of the unconditional love Shawn fleshes out on a daily basis. I experience God's joy over His children being His children when I watch Shawn wrestle and tickle his son. I grasp submission more fully as I've learned that Shawn often knows what is best for me before I do, and does the same for Jude.

I know, it kind of sounds like I'm talking an awful lot about my husband as opposed to my children's Daddy, doesn't it? Yeah, yeah, Shawn's an incredible husband and I'm blessed beyond my wildest imagination that he chose me. What I didn't know when I said, "yes" was how great of a Daddy he'd end up being. Shawn loves that kid with everything in him. I daresay he loves Jude more than he thought possible. And then there's this look that Jude gives Shawn. I catch it just about once a day, but you never know when it'll happen. Sometimes it's when they're playing cars together, sometimes it's when Shawn's changing a diaper, sometimes it's as Shawn is rocking Jude before bed. Jude stops what he's doing and looks into Shawn's eyes. Then Jude's eyes get big and serious, and then they start to crinkle at the corners. Shawn usually says, "Hey buddy. I love you," and Jude's eyes get full-on squinty as his entire face breaks out into a smile and he exclaims, "Da Da Da Da!!!!"

It a simple look, and often a quick look - but it's unmistakable. With that one look, Jude is saying to his Daddy, " I feel safe with you. I know you, I trust you, and I love you. You're my Daddy, and I really like to be near you."

Could there be a higher calling than that?


Shawn, thank you for being such a great Daddy to our sons. I know it's not easy to balance ministry and fatherhood, and I know sometimes you feel like you don't see Jude for days on end. But yet I know - beyond a doubt - that you consider leading your family in Christ to be your first ministry, and I can't help but respect you profoundly. Thank you for being a man who works harder than anyone I've known, but who loves his family with even more passion than his work. Thank you for smothering our son in kisses - even when your beard tickles him - and telling him at least twenty times a day that you love him. Thank you for teaching him about God, for exemplifying Jesus, and for showing him how to listen to the Holy Spirit. Thank you for being more than a father, thank you for being a Daddy.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Father's Day, Shawn!!! Jen, we sure are blessed with great hubby/daddy's, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a WONDERFUL song!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete