Friday, November 12, 2010

a letter to cohen

Dear Cohen,

It's pretty hard to believe it, but you are three months old today! Three months ago today, we met the sweetest, smiliest little boy we'd ever known. Kiddo, you are just busting with personality and joy, and Daddy and I have loved getting to know you. You love nothing better than to be looking into someone's eyes and making them smile, and you literally throw your head back to laugh. You've recently figured out how to get your hand to your mouth, and you also like getting your hand to go towards my mouth so I can give you lots of kisses!

Cohen, you love your big brother. You're fascinated by what he does and LOVE when he makes eye contact with you. You smile so big when he kisses the top of your head or leans in and gently says, "boo." I pray that you two have a strong bond and feel the responsibility to look out for one another.

Developmentally, you're growing right on track. You're staying awake a little bit longer, but you sure do love your sleep. You're still working on grasping objects with your hands, and are trying to figure out those crazy arms and legs of yours. You like to blow raspberries and stick your tongue out, and when you accomplish those feats, your entire face lights up like you just conquered the world. Like most babies your age, you detest tummy time - so you get probably five minutes every day or so. Your neck support is great though, and you're already able to turn your head to look towards sounds you hear.

You haven't been weighed since you were nine weeks old, but I can tell you're growing. You're out of size 1 diapers now, and seem like you're close to being out of the size Small cloth diapers I have. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if you need to be moved to a Medium already, since Jude is still in Mediums. I guess it'll make sorting the diapers easier! You've recently developed an extra little fat roll on your thigh and a double chin, which just thrills me to no end. Your Daddy thinks it's weird that I delight in seeing you put on weight, and I'm sure as you read this, you'll think it strange too, but I don't care. It's my job to nourish you, and seeing your little chunk-a-lunks is as close as we'll get to you being able to say, "You're doing a good job feeding me, Mommy. Thanks for taking such great care of me."

Everyone comments on how active your little legs and arms are! Anytime you're not in someone's arms or sleeping, you're kicking those legs like crazy. I think I've written about this before, but you especially love to kick at bath time. Your face gets very serious, your eyes get big, and you concentrate so hard on kicking. It's awesome to see how both you and your brother have taken so well to water and love bath time so much.

You're continuing to be a much better sleeper than we expected, and you usually sleep from 8:30pm-5:00am. When you wake up at 5:00, I usually go into your room and cuddle with you on the guest bed while we both get another hour and a half to two hours of sleep. I'm looking forward to the day when those 5:00am wakings are a thing of the past, but I do enjoy that cuddle time with you. My heart is so full when I can wrap my arms around you, smell your sweet baby head, and feel your breathing become more regular and deep.

Now that you're finished with your growth spurt, you're back to being a great napper. Our nap time (and bed time routine) are now super short - I change your diaper and sing to you while I swaddle you. Then I stand next to your crib and finish singing (you're usually pretty fussy off and on), then lay you in your crib. Most of the time you go right to sleep, though occasionally you fuss for three or four minutes before falling asleep on your own, and the entire routine takes less than five minutes. Don't tell Jude, but putting him down for a nap at this age was a twenty minute ordeal!

Cohen-Bear, you bring so much joy to our house. It's been such a privilege to see you growing and to learn more and more about your personality. We love you, sweet boy, and can't wait to see what the next month brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment