Friday, November 19, 2010

pumpkin carving

So the other day I took a notepad and wrote the day and date from now until December 1st on each page. Then I took all of the things I need to get done that are swirling around in my head and spread them out over the next week and a half, according to when each things needs to get done. Then each day, I prioritize which items I need to accomplish first, add any other things that particular day holds, and get to it. Most days I bust my behind but still have one or two items that need to be put on the following day's list because there just aren't enough hours in the day.

This morning, I have everything crossed off my list except for one thing, "box stuff up." To what can I owe this surprisingly productive morning? Well, my son who shall remain nameless (though his name does rhyme with Schmoen) thought that 4:30 this morning would be a great time to wake up for the day. I got bills paid, our budget balanced, our student loans taken off of automatic bill pay, dishes washed, and the bed made. Lest you think I'll be able to relax today, I've thought of three other things I need to do today in the time it took me to write this post. And of course, now that Jude is up it will take me three times as long as it should to do any of those things. Still, it's nice to be able to take a break and share some of our family's pumpkin carving photos with you!


Our three pumpkins in all their jack-o-lantern glory!

Our Cohen pumpkin

The pumpkin Shawn carved to look like me. Please don't be too critical of my baby fat and tired face.
Shawn and Jude working hard!


Jude giving his input on what Shawn should carve

The "Jude" pumpkin





I realize I'm pretty late in getting these pictures up...the pumpkins are now actually chilling in our compost bin. Life is pretty crazy right now, though. I also want to ask your grace in understanding if Shawn or I don't return your calls and/or texts in this season of our life. Words won't do justice in explaining how stressed and overwhelmed we are right now. We desperately need our friends and family to just know that we love you, even if you don't hear from us and even if you have to call us three times before we call you back. It doesn't mean we don't want to hear from you, don't want to talk to you, or don't love you - it just means we have a ridiculous amount of things to do and things to keep straight right now, and a few (and by "a few," I mean "tons of") things inevitably slip through the cracks. Please cut us some slack, don't hate us, and don't make us feel guilty. We're doing our best to keep up with life and come through this season with a sound marriage and boys who know they're loved. Some days it's all we can do to accomplish that much.

And on that note - those boxes and that to-do list are calling my name!

1 comment:

  1. Jen... oh how I understand, "Please cut us some slack, don't hate us, and don't make us feel guilty." I know it can be so hard on both sides to understand... that really, you aren't returning phone calls because you simply can't add another thing, not because you don't love them and want to hear how they're doing. I love your sense of disclosure-from your words to having the confidence in posting make-upless pictures (as if you are any less beautiful, please). You are a Godly woman that I respect a lot... a lot a lot.

    ReplyDelete