Wednesday, November 17, 2010

on the homefront


I know what you're thinking..."That Shawn is one lucky fella." I totally agree. I mean, who wouldn't want an overtired and overweight wife? Lucky, indeed.

Shawn: Shawn's out of town again for five days, which I think is stressing him out more than he thought it would. He's taken the primary lead on getting things done around the house to get it ready to sell, and the fact that he has just about a week to finish everything up after he gets back is daunting. Both of our bathrooms are currently being remodeled, and I'm hoping to get a good portion of the painting done while he's gone. Hopefully after those two things are taken care of, the rest of the projects will be relatively small. Still, twenty small projects is nothing to sneeze at, and as I'm sure you know - when you plan for something to take two hours it inevitably takes five. On top of that, he's of course working hard to transition his areas of ministry in the church, pack up his office, make his files accessible, and make sure the students know that they remain important to him. Overwhelmed yet? Yeah...so is he.

Jen: I'm working hard at boxing and packing, and am also organizing the logistics of what the boys and I will do for the two days before we fly out that Shawn has all of our earthly possessions. I'm also working on the details of canceling our cable, garbage, etc., and calling every company that automatically debits our bills (which is every. single. bill. we have) to have them bill us manually until we transfer funds from one bank to the other. And then of course there's the fun task of breast feeding and pumping with men in and out of the house working on our bathrooms.

Despite the mayhem of our lives right now, I want you to know that we still remain excited about the changes God is bringing in our lives. We still feel like this is 100% His will, and the assurance of that calling is giving us untold strength and perseverance. And as I told Shawn the other day, all of our current stresses are because we're blessed. We're blessed to own a house to sell. We're blessed to have so many possessions to pack up. We're blessed that so many people want to spend time with us. We're blessed to have two little precious lives to care for. We're so, SO blessed.

Jude: I think Jude's finally adjusted to Daylight Savings Time, so is no longer waking up at 6:00am. This makes for a much happier Mommy and much less whiny Jen. I also realized that in my haste to grocery shop a couple of weeks ago, I bought Jude whole milk instead of his usual lactose free milk. I went about three days of giving him regular milk before Shawn pointed out my mistake. Since switching him back, he's been significantly less whiny. I'd actually been wondering if we should start transitioning him to regular milk, and it looks like he's not ready for that yet. He had his 2 year well check this week, and is basically perfect. He's 23lbs and I think 36 inches tall. The doctor said that at 2 years, they're usually about half of their adult height. This fact would put Jude at 5'4 (which is one inch taller than me), but our doctor thought Jude would probably fall right in between Shawn and I...around 5'8. I expect that Jude will probably be one of the smallest kids his age for quite some time, and we'll certainly help him cope with any kind of stigma that may come from that, but really - if being on the small side is his biggest problem than he's one blessed kid, indeed.

Cohen: That boy loves him some eye contact. It can be disconcerting to be chatting with someone and look down to see Cohen waiting anxiously to bust into a grin at your eye contact. Disconcerting, but wonderful. He's still sleeping well, though I'm never quite sure when he's going to wake up. I try to feed him around 8:00pm, and then wake him up to feed him around 10:00 or 10:30. He then typically sleeps until anywhere between 5:00am and 8:00am. We had a couple of mornings with early wakings, but I had a few servings of dairy within a two day period, and I think his little tummy was struggling to digest it. He slept until 7:30 this morning, so I'm hoping that's made it's way through my system.

As our days and moments to accomplish productivity are quickly vanishing, mine and Shawn's state of sanity is also mysteriously disappearing. Thanks to awesome friends and thoughtful people, Jude and Cohen seem to be blissfully unaware of the chaos swirling around them right now, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment