Tuesday, November 30, 2010

my heart hurts

Shawn left super early this morning to drive to Texas. He's driving a 26ft Uhaul with our car on a tow dolly hitched to the back. I'm so grateful that Shawn's Dad is following behind in his vehicle, Shawn's a great driver, but that's a long drive with a large truck.

Jude is spending the day with Rhonda (Jude's North Carolina Grandma), so it's just Cohen and me at the house today. The house is completely empty save for a couple of blow up mattresses, a pack and play, and our luggage. I've spent the morning cleaning up and getting the house ready to be seen by someone who thinks it's such a fantastic home they want to offer us $10,000 more than we're asking. But now Cohen's down for a nap. The house is clean. Most of my earthly possessions are packed on a truck that is somewhere in Alabama right now. And after about six weeks of nonstop preparations, plans, long nights, early mornings, and filling ever day with "doing," I finally have a chance to stop.

And I'm realizing something I hadn't noticed before. Something that all the busyness was covering.

My heart is hurting.

When I look around this house, when I see good friends interact with Jude, when I give a hug, when I watch someone pull out of our driveway one last time, when I try to remember details of people's faces, expressions, and hugs, I feel a subtly overwhelming tightness in my chest. A tightness that reminds me that this is hard. And I can't stop crying.

***************************************

I began this post a few days ago and as I was writing I realized that I needed to take my tears (and by "tears," I mean hideous, heaving sobs) to God. We're currently in Texas, but we won't have internet access in our home for another two weeks. I just wanted to update and let everyone know that we got here safely. We love our house, we're mostly unpacked, the boys are happy, and Shawn and I are excited, but in my moments of stillness....my heart still hurts.

3 comments:

  1. My heart hurts too, Jen. We miss you guys so much! I am also very excited for this new adventure in your lives. How did you post this if you don't have internet? Can't wait til you do have it! Kayla and Brandon both said there was a very big absence at the church Wednesday night and we keep quoting or imitating Jude. Like the way he says "HI" and "That"

    Well, just wanted you to know that your absence is hugely felt and we miss the crap out of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could hug you right now, Jen! Miss you guys. Hug and kiss those sweet babies for me. So glad I got to spend time with them before you guys left. Can't wait to come check out Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, Sweet Jen. So great to talk and laugh with you on the phone tonight. Makes me feel like you're right beside me. :) My heart hurts too but right now it feels good, even jolly. Can't wait to talk more soon... and only SIX more days till Internet.

    ReplyDelete