Friday, May 7, 2010

all is well

I had another appointment for Baby Deuce this morning, and I found myself a little nervous about it this time around. This was the glucose appointment, which meant that I'd have to drink what is basically liquid sugar and be tested for gestational diabetes. I tested negative with Jude though, so it wasn't that part that was making me nervous. Because of the contractions I've had, I decided to have them check to see if I've been dilating or if the contractions have been doing anything funky. My fear was that the doctor would find changes in my cervix and that I'd have to start modified bed rest.

As an aside - Shawn has informed me of the possibility that not everyone in the world would like to hear about my cervix, or in fact - have a visual of my irritable uterus. I am aghast that my cervix and uterus wouldn't be of fascination to everyone, but I suppose he does have a point. So this is my official disclaimer that any of my posts having to do with pregnancy, childbirth, and/or postpartum recovery will probably contain lots of words that many of you would really rather pretend don't exist. I'll try to post a forewarning so that you can skip said details and can get back to Jude cuteness ASAP.

That being said - "Your cervix looks great!" is what I heard the doctor exclaim. She said that so far there wasn't any cause for concern, but that they'd keep an eye on things. She also mentioned that she could feel either the baby's head or butt bouncing up and down on my cervix (he was going nuts-o because of the glucose drink). So thanks for that, kiddo.

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to know to that I can continue as I have been! I'll still try to take it easy when I start contracting - just in case - but no need to fear bed rest anytime soon. Can I get a whoop whoop (or if you're from North Carolina, a yee-haw)?

The results of the glucose test are determined from a blood draw, and I should have those within a week or two. The glucose drink is about the size of a bottle of water, and you're supposed to drink it all within five minutes. The nurse and I were talking about my contractions and she was taking my blood pressure as I was drinking, and I ended up finishing it in about a minute and a half. After the nurse left the room, I could overhear her discussion with the doctor.

Nurse: "She just finished the drink and would like to be checked because of contractions she's having."

Doctor: "Wait. She finished the drink already?"

Nurse: "Yep, it couldn't have taken her more than two minutes."

Doctor: "Wow, really? That has to be a record (said with awe, by the way)."

"Weeee-he-ellll," I wanted to answer with a slight swagger to my step. "That kind of extreme tolerance for sugar isn't something everyone has, and I have to say - I've trained for this exact moment. That's right. I eat it in moderation, but my preferred dessert would put the average person in sugar shock. I've been known to have double chocolate brownies sprinkled with Reese's Pieces and drizzled with caramel sauce for dinner, and I'd say it's paid off today, wouldn't you? I mean - holding the record for being able to drink liquid sugar in a minute and half is puh-retty dang impressive, eh?"

And then I realized that these facts are probably not something of which I should be proud. So when the doctor proclaimed her amazement at my fast-sugar-drinking talents, I simply replied, "Yeah. I figured I'd drink it quickly to get it over with."

But secretly...I'm a little proud.

3 comments:

  1. You make me giggle. And also, I'd like to add that I am a born and raised North Carolinian, and I have NEVER once said "yee-haw" unless making fun of someone or being silly. But a lot of our church folk ARE from Davidson County, so I can't speak for them. You should probably ask Lindsey, though, as she seems to have mastered the rural NC vocabulary with words like "gom" or some such nonsense. On a side note, do you guys have biscuits where you're from??? Ahhh... good times. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and HOORAY for Baby Deuce being well, and your irritable uterus keeping her saggy boobed self in check. Yee-Haw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I am so glad the news was good at your appointment today. And why wouldn't anyone want to hear about your cervix or uterus? Don't they know that is everyday conversation for some of us :)! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete