Tuesday, May 4, 2010

living on love

In just eighteen short work days, I'll become a stay at home Mom. I've talked pretty openly about my excitement for this transition - a dream Shawn and I discussed when we were trying to get pregnant with Jude, a dream I physically ached for in Jude's early days of infant hood, a dream I secretly believed would never happen, and eventually - a dream I realized needed to be a reality for the sake of our family and our marriage. I'm officially counting down the days until my family can be my utmost priority. I'm looking forward to keeping Jude on a consistent routine, and I'm looking forward to allowing Shawn freedom in knowing that he can work hard and his home and son are well cared for.

I won't beat a dead horse - you all know why I'm so passionate about staying home. What I haven't discussed in as much detail is what our new budget will look like. The budget I affectionately call our "Livin' On Love," budget (formerly known as our, "Holy Crap, We're Broke As Heck" budget). I have to admit that I haven't always had the best attitude about what our new budget will look like - mostly because this woman knows how to stretch a dime and I was having a tough time stretching our dimes to cover everything. I actually think "haven't always," may not be the best description. How about - I have been stressed out, freaking out, worried, anxious, angry, upset, guilt-ridden, and did I mention freaking out...about what our new budget will look like.

We inadvertently found ourselves in a catch-22 a few months ago. I needed to give at least a six month notice before leaving my job, so we needed to make a decision by the beginning of November. Even though we knew things would be extremely tight, we decided to commit to me staying home. I'm not exaggerating when I say that we then got pregnant about a week after I gave my notice. On the one hand - had I known that we were soon going to have two kiddos to raise on one income - I don't know that I would've quit my job. And to be honest, I struggle with feeling really guilty for doing so. On the other hand - there's no way we could continue our game of "pass the Jude" with two kids. We would have to put our kids in daycare. The cost of daycare alone (not to mention all of the "extra" costs associated with such) dwarfs my income, plus I know I'd struggle with the guilt of that decision, too.

So here we are. As of June 1st, our family will be officially living on love. That's not to say our bills won't be met because - by the grace of God - they will be. It IS however, to warn our family and friends that we will be cheap. We won't be able to go out to eat with you, and we won't often be able to do activities that cost money. You may just have to accept a tight hug and "we love you" instead of a gift at Christmas or your birthday, and we won't be doing any traveling in the foreseeable future.

We're sacrificing - a lot. So much that it frightens me a little, honestly. Thankfully though, Shawn and I both agree that the stability and sanity of our household depends on these sacrifices. When we look back at these years, we won't be thinking about the game systems, clothes, or dinners with which we lived without. I pray that we'll remember the times we chose the health of our family, our marriage, our children, and Shawn's ministry over trying to keep up with everyone around us. Doing difficult things doesn't come easily or naturally, but at least in our case - it's necessary.

6 comments:

  1. Yay!!

    People will understand that homemade gifts may be in their future. Our Christmases have been pretty skimpy as of late, but it's so important to us and to the rest of our family that I stay home. It has been a struggle this year, with all of our medical expenses, but I keep telling myself that it won't always be like this. The joy of being home with my two little boys, helping them grow up to be men of God, is worth more than the little extras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to somehow power our house with stationary bikes. Like wind turbines but on our own manpower, because how great would it be to be watching TV while powering the TV with my massive calorie burning activity? Then I found out that the energy generated by my biking power would only charge my cell phone. So much for that great money saving idea.

    I suppose there are worse things to live on that to live on love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! I know it will be a big adjustment but its so worth it. I was very scared about doing it too but now its kinda of fun and a challenge to see how well I can make Dave's teacher salary stretch. He laughs at me when I come home from grocery shopping saying "Look what I got on sale AND with a coupon! I got it for 30 cents!". Its become a fun game! I'll be praying for you and your family as you ease into this new stage of life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, for all of the encouragement! It's hard to not get wrapped up in what we're doing without, but I really am trying to focus on what we WILL have, and all the blessings that come from staying home. Melissa, I LOVE your idea and am a little jealous that I didn't think of it first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will become the queen of recycled leftovers, eating out will be a picnic at the park, lunchables are a 6-cup muffin tin filled with 5 goodies and a sippy cup. It will be the best time of your life.Your boys will understand the meaning of NO. The best gift you can give them other than Jesus of course! Grandparents will love the hand print gifts and will treasure them more than any storebought gift. The greastest gift I ever gave myself and my children was to stay at home. God intended for the man to take care of us. don't ever complain about the money-just help make it last. It always will, pay God first, and the checks will never bounce. Friends will give you hand-me-downs, grandmas will buy surprise shoes, and you will never be too tired to give your husband the attention he needs and deserves. Enjoy it and remember all your readers are praying for your success.
    A. Tuttle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jen,

    I read your blog all the time--it's helps me to get some odd amount of one sided adult conversation....anyways, I don't know if this helps, but what about swapping kidos w/a close friend and substitute teaching a day or two a week? Our schools pay about $65 a day! I am always trying to think of different things to do to earn some extra money, it is just very difficult when you don't have family or friends close to help.

    Hope this helps you.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete