Monday, May 24, 2010

boys and peeing

We had our first pee related incident last night. Jude has never been one to pee on or in anything but his diaper. Even as an infant, I think Shawn got peed on once and Jude peed in the bath tub once. For about three weeks now, Shawn and I have been slowly working on preparing Jude for potty training this summer. We've gotten a potty chair for him, sit him on it naked every couple of days, and say/sign, "potty." We also sign and say the word, "potty" when we're using the bathroom. Well, when he's in the bathroom with us. We're not total weirdos who like to say and sign everything we're doing.

So I was giving Jude a bath last night, and he got extremely grumpy. This isn't normal behavior for him, bath time is usually the highlight of his life. I thought I'd give him a break for a minute, so I took him out of the tub and cuddled him, during which he started pointing to his little potty chair. "Do you need to go potty?" I asked. Jude responded, "eh? eh!" which prompted me to go ahead and sit his naked self on the potty. Jude immediately threw a fit, got up, and walked out to the living room. Whatever, I thought. I'll give him a minute or two to stop being cranky and then put him back in the tub to scrub him down really quickly.

After a minute (because, to be honest, it takes me a full minute to get my pregnant self up from a sitting position) I followed Jude into the living room. Where he proceeded to stand in front of his high chair and just let it go with the peeing. For a minute, I was torn. Do I get frustrated that he didn't follow instructions and pee IN his toilet and now I had carpet to clean? Or do I take a step back and realized that my adorably butt naked son is curiously watching himself pee on our living room carpet and allow myself a little giggle?

I chose the latter.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! We have a little pee-er too and I have to smile. BTW, PureAyre for Babies is great for cleaning it up and getting ride of the stink. Its very expensive but worth it. I used to use the kitty one when we had cats.

    ReplyDelete