Sunday, February 14, 2010

will you be my v-a-l-e-n-t-i-n-e?

Did anyone else sing that song in elementary school? If you will, you'll surely know how happy I can be. Sugar, spice and all things nice is what you are to me. Will you be my V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E?

There are many times in my relationship with Shawn that I bust out in some song or dance movement with much enthusiasm and excitement, thinking it's something every child learned. I quickly glean by the very amused look on Shawn's face that apparently most people did not learn it. So right now, I'm picturing you all giving me that same look about my Valentine Song - one of raised eyebrows and patronizing amusement. So seriously - if you know that song, it'd really make me feel much less a fool if you'd comment, email, tell me that you know it. And my siblings don't count - we went to the same elementary school.

So anyway, I'm so sorry about that tangent. Shawn and I celebrated Valentine's Day yesterday, and we had so much fun together! We got dressed up for each other (he bought new stripey socks and I busted out my "smokey evening eyes" make up) and went downtown to Xia's for dinner. It's been a long time since we've been out to eat without Jude, and I kept marveling at how nice it was to not have to move all of my drinks and food to the center of the table. Our conversation was uninterrupted and it was just...nice. After dinner we went to the Winston-Salem Symphony. We've been a couple of times in our time here in Winston, and I just wanted to give 'em a quick plug. If you haven't been, I'd highly recommend it - our experiences there have been nothing but awesome. The tickets are reasonable, and their plugged in pops series is a lot of fun! CLICK HERE for more info. On our way home from the symphony we made a quick stop at Krispy Kreme for some ice cream and donuts.

Shawn actually planned the entire evening, and it was one of our most romantic Valentine's Days ever. Not because of the specific things we did (which were very romantic), but because we got to spend the evening with a friend with whom we're head over heels in love. That man is my best friend, my strength, my partner, my sounding board, my counselor, my leader, my provider, and more than I could have asked or imagined. He's amazing, and there's nobody else with whom I'd rather take this journey than him.

7 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! Sounds like you had a wonderful date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jen,
    I keep Jude in the nursery this morning. He is a doll. Send him to my house next time he's fussy, I'd love to keep him!
    Angelia Tuttle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nancy we did! And thank you Angelia - we'll keep that in mind! It's always nice to know he's well behaved when he's away from us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen! I always feel the same way about childhood songs I learned and remember so well and get that same look sometimes from people! I decided to google it to see if I was delusional lol and found your post. I know the song from beginning to end and think of it every time I see or hear the word Valentine. Glad you enjoyed that one with your hubby and hope you've been enjoying the rest since! Thx for verifying my childhood! :)

    " If you'll be m-i-n-e mine I'll be t-h-i-n-e thine and I'll l-o-v-e love you all the t-i-m-e time. You are the b-e-s-t best of all the r-e-s-t..." Good times

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen! I always feel the same way about childhood songs I learned and remember so well and get that same look sometimes from people! I decided to google it to see if I was delusional lol and found your post. I know the song from beginning to end and think of it every time I see or hear the word Valentine. Glad you enjoyed that one with your hubby and hope you've been enjoying the rest since! Thx for verifying my childhood! :)

    " If you'll be m-i-n-e mine I'll be t-h-i-n-e thine and I'll l-o-v-e love you all the t-i-m-e time. You are the b-e-s-t best of all the r-e-s-t..." Good times

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here it is, almost 8 years since you posted this! I remember this song, too, just the way you wrote it in your blog 8 years ago! I am looking for this version on YouTube, but having no luck. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remeber a version of the song V.A.L.E.N.T.I.N.E from Alvin and the Chipmunks, and I have been searching for it forever! :-) Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete