Wednesday, December 16, 2009

a day of sheer genius

Jude woke up a genius yesterday. Well, maybe not genius...but definitely smarter. It would appear that several of the things we've been working on with him suddenly clicked - in one amazing day.

It started first thing when Shawn picked Jude up from his crib in the morning. Jude pointed to Shawn's mouth, Shawn said, "mouth," and Jude repeated. Once Jude was fed and changed, Shawn was telling me about Jude's new word, so I said, "Jude, where's Mommy's nose?" And Jude pointed to my nose. I said, "Where's Mommy's mouth?" And he pointed to my mouth (and did it again - correctly - several times during the day).

I realize these are not feats of amazement for a one year old, but these ARE things we've been repeatedly telling him while he gave us this look:



and appeared to be ignoring us. As Shawn was walking out the door for work, I told Jude to say bye-bye to Daddy, and did my goofy toddler wave as usual. And Jude copied it, and kept waving at Shawn until he closed the door (later on, Jude waved when a stranger at Babies R Us told him, "bye bye," so it looks like he really does get that the waving goes with those words).

After his first nap, Jude showed me his new skill of clapping - something he'd never previously done on his own, and walked just about everywhere he needed to go.

And then when it was time for Jude's bath in the evening, he actually said, "baf!" in glee.

You're a sneaky little kid, you know that? You act like you're totally ignoring us and like we must be the biggest weirdos of all time, when in fact....



you're paying attention and learning, aren't you?

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! Go Jude!

    Miles still isn't much of a talker, but he's getting better. Signing has definitely helped. And he's not really a performer. If he doesn't want to show me where his nose is, he ain't gonna do it!

    ReplyDelete