Wednesday, December 23, 2009

just in case

...you weren't sure just exactly how strange we are.

(Be advised this post contains some information about Santa Claus that may not be appropriate for younger readers. Not in a "rated R, gonna scar them forever" kind of way, but in a "let's not dash someone's hopes and dreams" kind of way. So take caution in allowing your child to read further)


I think the Santa Claus issue is probably tough for all parents to navigate. On the one hand - if you tell your kids that old Saint Nick is alive and well up in the North Pole, you kind of feel like you're lying to your children. But if you tell him it's just a fun make believe story, you kind of feel like they're missing out on a really fun part of childhood. It's not an easy one to make, and it's one that Shawn and I have actually been trying to figure out for years now. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer - I don't think parents who lead their children to believe in Sinter Klaas are going to forever ruin their children's trust, and I don't think parents who do the old, "It's just a story," thing are fuddy duddies whose children will grow up entirely too serious.

I do however, think it's a choice parents should consciously make, and they should enjoy and celebrate whichever decision that is.

So after consideration and debate, which decision have Shawn and I made?

We reserve the right to change our minds, but we're thinking we're going to tell our children that Santa Claus is a really fun story based on a guy who liked to be generous. We'll have fun "pretending" that Father Christmas is going to come while they're sleeping, and maybe even sign their presents "From Santa." We'll read The Night Before Christmas, and Polar Express, and we'll talk about how fun it is to pretend.

I vaguely remember finding out that Santa wasn't real from a rather heavy red headed boy on the bus. At the time I was shocked, but I can't say the revelation made a lasting impact on me. I also remember my youngest sister being told that Papa Noel wasn't real. Her face went from shock to deep sadness, and then she said, "What about the Easter Bunny? And the Tooth Fairy? And Jesus?"I don't want our kids to have to question whether we're telling them the truth about God or not.

Let me be clear here - Shawn and I both grew up believing in Santa and are none the worse for it. We both understand that Santa is fun and make believe, and that Jesus is the Son of God and have seen evidence of Him in our lives. I don't think that kids who believe in Santa will inevitably not believe in Jesus - that's not my line of logic here.

I just want to make it clear from the beginning that Jesus is Jesus (Son of God, Messiah, Emmanuel), and that Santa is Santa (fun make believe character). Even beyond that though, I want our children to understand that Mommy and Daddy work very hard to buy them presents at Christmas. If we have a year of few (or no) presents, it's not because Santa doesn't care, or because he had a hard year, or whatever...it's because Mommy and Daddy had to be very careful with money that year. I also want our kids to know that Shawn and I care very much about them, and love to get them good gifts because of that. Not so that we can get the "credit," but so that they can experience our love in another way. Besides - having your kids believe in Santa seems like so much work -especially as they get older and need to be convinced more creatively.

My one and only hesitation in all of this is how to stop our children from ruining it for others. I'd feel awful if Jude told some kid in his pre-school class that Santa is actually a make believe character that we have fun pretending exists at Christmastime. Sheesh - I'd feel terrible!

Beyond that one consideration though, I feel like we can give Jude the "fun" of Christmas and Santa without having to tell him that Santa Claus is real. I'd love to hear your genuine thoughts on this - whether you agree or disagree with us. And let me restate that I have NO judgment or issue with parents whose kids do believe in Santa - I think it's fun and whimsical. We're also not really even at a stage yet where we're having to put all of these thoughts into action, so I'm not even saying that we're 105% convinced that this is the way to go.

So let me hear it - what did you grow up believing, and how did it affect you? What have you chosen (or what do you plan on choosing) for your own children, and why? Are we crazy, hyper-sensitive Christian weirdos? I'm interested to hear your thoughts!

7 comments:

  1. I grew up always knowing Santa was pretend, but I'm not sure how I knew that. I don't remember any deep "Santa conversations" with my parents. We always had a gift or two from him, but since Santa's name was written in my mom's handwriting, it was kind of a no brainer. Honestly, my parents just never made a big deal about Santa, so therefore he was never a big deal to us. I think that's how we'll do it: raise our kids to know about the fun of Santa, but make the important thing knowing the real meaning of Christmas. is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though we don't have kids yet, I've thought about this and really like your approach. I just have a tough time setting a child up to be dissapointed. I like the idea of it being "pretend" much better and it just seems more genuine. Honestly, I agree with all of your viewpoints and think it's a great way of keeping the tradition without playing in to the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I totally agree with how you guys are choosing to do it. I grew up believing in Santa, and believe it or not-when I found out he wasn't real, I actually then got very confused about Jesus. I'd learned about both of them my whole life. . . so to find out that one wasn't real, what did that mean for the other? It sounds extreme but I actually remember thinking that as a child.

    I like the idea of making it pretend from the beginning-and clearly so. My youth minister and his wife never even talked to their kids about Santa-so their kids heard about Santa during preschool. Naturally, being very confused, they then told the other kids that their parents got them gifts, and that maybe Santa was only for other kids. I find that hilarious. Kyle hopes that our kids will be the one to ruin it for the other kids-which is downright cruel, but a little funny to think about. Is that evil . . .?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up knowing Santa was just a fun make-believe thing, but my parents (my dad is a minister) let us have a lot of fun with it. I was always told not to spill the beans to other kids, and as far as I know, I never crushed anyone's dreams.

    My 9 year old nephew is just now starting to question the magic of Christmas...but his mom hides a lot from him. For instance, when his dog died 2 years ago, she told him the dog ran away and got married!

    We are planning to do something similar to what my parents did. Let him know the truth but not ban Santa from the house. Miles sat on Santa's lap last week (and HATED it) but we're not going to pretend he's the one who buys the presents or that he's the one who is the reason for the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I really expected most people to think we're completely strange - thanks for the encouragement!

    I love the idea of just not making a big deal out of Santa so he's not really that big of a deal to Jude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Melissa's mom. As she said, Santa was not a big deal, other than they received a couple of gifts from him and his handwriting looked a lot like mine! :)
    I think I took Melissa to see Santa once. I hate shopping, a trait Melissa did not get from me, so standing in a line at a store just didn't do it for me.
    We read the Christmas story every year and had the girls memorize the Luke passage. I don't remember reading any Santa stories.
    I like the old tv classics, Rudolf, Frosty the Snowman, so anything the girls saw regarding Santa was always in cartoon form. I guess it all came down to, Jesus is real and Santa was a cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GrammaR - I love your perspective about Santa! I hate the idea of standing in line to see Santa (all those kids yelling, all the germs, and I just don't trust the guy under the suit), so we'll most likely skip out on that tradition, too. I think it's awesome that you had your daughters memorize the Luke passage - that's an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete