Tuesday, July 20, 2010

another baby deuce update

Baby Deuce is still snug as a bug in there! Our appointment today consisted of being tested for Group B (we'll find out the results at our next appointment), and finding out that I'm dilated to a "loose one." My blood pressure was a little higher than usual at our last appointment, so I was glad to see that it was back to being its normal low (I'd been having a lot of contractions before our last appointment, and I was having a hard time being in pain and taking care of Jude. I think feeling some stress from that is why my blood pressure was up). I haven't gained or lost any weight in awhile now, and everything else looked great.

Our OB provides childcare in the mornings, and I think perhaps my favorite part of the appointment was when I went to pick up Jude. I asked him if he was ready to go home, and he flung himself on the floor and said pathetically, "noooo!" No, that wasn't my favorite part. One of the workers told me that Jude played extremely well with the other children. "He must be in daycare," she asserted. She was surprised when I told her that I actually stayed home with Jude, and continued to tell me how well he shared, played, and listened to instruction. Some of the downfalls of staying home about which I'm leery are raising children who don't share well, who don't listen to other authority figures well, and who aren't prepared for the school setting in kindergarten. It's always such a huge compliment when someone tells me how well Jude shares and interacts with other children! I try to take opportunities for Jude to be around and need to share with other kiddos, I try to make it clear to our families and close friends that they're welcome to discipline Jude, and Shawn and I are already thinking about what kind of pre-school setting will be best for Jude in the year before he enters kindergarten.

I'm certainly not a perfect Mom, and truthfully had several less than patient moments just yesterday. But it's nice to hear that we're apparently doing something well.

I'm still having contractions, and while they're getting stronger, they're not happening terribly often. I wish I could tell you if I felt like this baby was going to come sooner or later, but I've given up trying to guess. I can definitely tell my body is preparing for labor, but that really isn't helpful information this late in the game. :)

Because of all the labor signs we were seeing, Shawn opted to stay home this week instead of helping lead a student ministry missions trip to Cincinnati. This trip was originally planned before we even knew I was pregnant, and the goal was that I would be able to tag along on this trip - driving Jude and I in our car, staying with my parents, and helping/hanging out with the kids as I could. I was severely disappointed when I realized I'd be too far along to join, but until a couple of weeks ago we both planned on Shawn still going. I know it was the right decision for Shawn to stay home this weekend, but we're both very, very sad to not be joining the kids in ministry this week. It's strange to know they're working to impact a city that is dear to my heart and where I have a lifetime of memories (and where almost all of my family members reside). One of the staff members sent me a picture of Frisch's (a.k.a. "Big Boy" to those members of the family who would be wrong), and my heart filled up knowing exactly where they were. It was the area where I bought my prom dress, my wedding dress, and where I first discovered Old Navy (they were at Tri-County for my Cincinnati folk). The kids visited Newport on the Levee, which is also a place that holds many fond memories for me.

I don't know that I'd ever want to move back to Cincinnati, but the city and its spiritual health hold a special place in my heart. It's a city with many quirks that holds people who are at the same time tenacious and stubborn, and I do believe that God can do mighty things there. I'm excited about students spending a week to impact a city I love so dearly!

I just hope they can take a break from their work to try Skyline chili, visit King's Island, watch the Reds lose, and maybe get some goetta!

No comments:

Post a Comment