Saturday, July 24, 2010

this and that

Seeing as how my full grown belly is kind of getting in the way of typing, it's safe to assume that we are still pregnant and haven't been able to meet Baby Deuce yet. I'm still contracting, but they have slowed slightly. If you put any stock into the full moon theory (women are more likely to go into labor around a full moon), the next full moon is Tuesday, so...there you go. I'm not necessarily growing impatient to have this baby yet, but I am just excited to meet him. However, there's no end of things we want to do to prepare, so every day that goes by means that we're one day better prepared for a newborn!

This past Tuesday was my very-amazing baby shower! I didn't take any photos, but I promise to post the photos that other took once I have a chance! I know I'm a bit biased, but it was seriously the most fun shower I've ever attended. I kind of forgot about the fact that you get presents at a shower - I was too wrapped up in the excitement of seeing and talking to good friends. It was nice to have uninterrupted conversations, and to talk about things like childbirth and breastfeeding without censoring for the fellas! Spending that time with friends did my heart good and made me realize how much God has blessed us. Finding good friends as a minister's wife (and truthfully, probably as any Christian woman) who encourage you and challenge you to be better is not an easy task. As I was driving home Tuesday night, I was remembering all the tears I cried our first year in ministry at not being able find Godly women with whom I clicked. I was taken back to realize that - without realizing it - God has surrounded me with friends I genuinely love and respect. I'm a blessed woman, indeed.

In other, less exciting news, we've recently acquired a chest freezer (Awesome condition from Craigslist. It was originally $120, and I talked them down to $75. Muah ha ha!). Thanks to Shawn and our good friend Mike, it is now chilling nicely in our garage and holding my post-baby-and-family-visiting casseroles and other things we've overbought recently (so that we'll hopefully be able to hold off on grocery shopping for a bit after the baby arrives). Shawn is excited that our kitchen freezer won't need to be the storage space for frozen breast milk. I can't blame him - it was a little awkward for guests when they went to grab ice from our freezer.

While I'm being a little random, I dug up a video I'd watched when I was pregnant for Jude about an awesome way to store breastmilk. If you're a nursing Mom, know a nursing Mom, or may be a nursing Mom in the future, this "storage system" saved us a lot of money and space!

http://greenlitebites.com/BreastMilk/

And with that, I'll leave you to have a Happy Saturday!!

3 comments:

  1. That is so funny about the chest freezer! When Mike told me that he was going to help Shawn move that, my first thought was "wow - that will be great for storing breast milk" (I didn't share that thought with him though)! Now that I think about it, it's sort of ironic that it's called a CHEST freezer. Hahahaha!

    I'm so glad you enjoyed your shower. I think it was a lot of fun, too. It was nice to get to talk to people without trying to share attention with all of our children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My photos that Erica took are on my camera still... which happens to be in Nashville. I'm sure Jenn's will be way more mega-awesome than mine, but if there are any especially good ones, I'll send them your way... you know, as soon as my camera makes it back from TN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, that's funny! I'm so excited to not feel like I have to cram the breast milk into our kitchen freezer! Thanks for lending Mike to us!

    Patrice, that's totally fine! I'd love to see them, but no rush!

    ReplyDelete