Friday, August 6, 2010

cervical compliments

Well friends, I'm still here and still pregnant! We had a Baby Deuce appointment this morning and the verdict is that nothing has really changed. I'm actually okay with this since I've had a significant reduction in painful contractions lately. I'm still having tons of Braxton-Hicks, but nothing that makes me stay up at night or need to do deep breathing. We talked a little about possible induction, but Shawn and I feel like we should wait until I'm 41 weeks along to induce, since it's entirely possible I'll go into labor beforehand. Our doctor said that at 39 weeks we're candidates for induction, but without medical cause, I just don't see the point. If Deuce is still nestled all snug in there at our appointment next Friday, we'll talk about scheduling something.

In the meantime, everything else looks perfect. The doctor said that my weight, blood pressure, and urine are awesome, and she also gave me more compliments on the favorability of my cervix than any woman should ever hear.

Since I feel like a puffer fish though, I guess it's nice to hear that something is lookin' good.

Shawn and I are having a lot of fun keeping people guessing about the baby's name. We always get a kick out of names our students come up with as possible candidates. So far, Demi Lovato Maurer has been my favorite. If you've been following along, then you know that:

1. It is a name that is not associated with the Beatles (as that's the first question people ask)
2. It's not a common name, but it's also not a made up name
And here is your third hint for Baby Deuce's name:


If you can guess his name based on those three hints, then you'll win some kind of awesome prize. Something super fun like...taking Baby Deuce for night duty so Shawn and I get some sleep one night. You know - I'm just generous like that.

After a few days of excessive Judeabug whining and watching his naps and nighttime sleep dwindle, I think I've come to the conclusion that he's getting his two year molars. He's been randomly signing "it hurts," has been chewing on his fingers and drooling, and has been waking up crying at night (which he hasn't done in a good long while). I felt his back gums this morning, and they're feeling a little swollen - so steady doses of teething tablets and Tylenol it is! I'm actually glad to have found a reason for his whining. It always helps me to be more patient with him when I understand that he's genuinely in pain and not just being a stinker. On top of that, he's probably super tired since he's just not sleeping well.

This is just another reason why I'm okay with waiting a bit to have this baby. Having a newborn and a teething toddler is really just a combination I'm alright with avoiding. Besides the teething issue, Jude is getting simultaneously sweeter and more precocious as each day passes. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of big brother he is, to watching him adjust, and to watching him and Baby Deuce grow as friends.

Before I know it, I'll be logging into Blogger to update you all that Demi Lovato Maurer is here!

5 comments:

  1. Nope, not Cooper - but that's a good guess and I really do like that name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I guess that Caleb Smith came up with Demi Lovato???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that was Caleb - how could you tell? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should've seen a periodontist as soon as you knew that Jude's gums were swollen. Don't you know that swollen gums can indicate a disease? That's what my Chattanooga periodontist told me the other day when I visited him. I also think that age doesn't matter when it comes to oral health. Even my kids have their own periodontist (Chattanooga area). It costs some, but it's well worth it.

    ReplyDelete