Tuesday, August 17, 2010

recovery

While this may not be the case for every postpartum woman, I've been surprised that recovering after Baby #2 is infinitely easier than recovering after Baby #1. I actually tore more this time around, but am able to move with much more ease than I could at this point with Jude. I remember crying every time I peed, and have been pleasantly surprised at my painless peeing. I think this might be a good time to remind you that any filter I may have had is effectively gone at this point - worn down by both exhaustion and the general invasion of privacy that is childbirth.

Anyway, so my physical recovery has been easier than I ever would have thought or expected.

Wanna know my secret? Whiskey. On the rocks, straight up, with a twist:


Just kidding. I don't even actually know what most of those words mean. The only thing I can think that has made a difference is just that this was my second labor, and my body is able to heal a little more quickly. Maybe? I don't know. I'm just grateful - the physical recovery was one of the things I was dreading. I still have to take it easy and can't pick Jude up or run after him as much as I'd like, but it's nice to not be in as much pain as I expected.

And while I'm talking about recovering, here are the only two pictures we got of our guests who visited at the hospital (though we had many more than two visitors), Brittany and Kayla:


And now since both Jude and Cohen are napping peacefully, I think I'll grab a nap myself!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you recovery is going well!

    Mine was definitely easier this time around. I don't know if it was the drug-free birth or like you said, just having been through it before, but it was nothing! The only thing I did have to deal with was postpartum contractions in the week following the birth. I wasn't expecting that and it kinda scared me because it was so painful! Motrin really helped though, so if you experience painful uterine contractions, definitely give Motrin a go!

    Can't wait to hear more about how things are going! All the pictures you have been posting are wonderful! I love the ones Patrice put on her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so good to hear - and your lack of a filter is like my biggest filter! haha! You are such a LADY.

    love the pic of you and Cohen skin to skin.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista, I've thought of you with the afterpains I was having! Mine were bad for a couple of days, but seem to have gone away (hopefully, anyway). Then again, I'm still on a steady diet of ibuprofen, so that might be helping. Sheila, you're awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete