Monday, August 2, 2010

indulge me

I know it's not the most creative blog post I've ever written, but laundry and groceries are calling my name today, so I thought I'd be a big fat copy cat of my friend Patrice and tag myself with some questions. I know they're things you were just dying to ask me anyway:

What experience has shaped you most and why?
Just one? The summer before my junior year of college I worked for a summer at a Christian camp in the Pocono Mountains. I had never been to the Pocono Mountains, I'd never been to this camp, and I'd never met anyone from the camp before I got off the airplane in Philly. It could have been a total disaster and I could have been homesick and miserable, but it was one of the most formative experiences I've had. I learned a lot about ministry, about how far I can push myself, and about my character. I made some great friends, but being away from ANYthing comfortable (I gave up electricity and regular showering...not to mention sleep!) put me in a place to hear God more clearly than I ever had.


If you had a whole day with no commitments, what would you do?
I would sleep until 9:30, then get up and go for a run. I'd take a long bath, have a big breakfast with Shawn, and then go do something girly like get a cute haircut or a facial or something. I'd then go to Starbucks and drink a Venti iced nonfat white chocolate mocha while I read my Bible and prayed. After that, I'd go on a small shopping spree, and then head home and take a nap. Then I'd meet some friends for dinner and to see a movie. After the movie, I'd probably go home to get into my pjs and cuddle with Shawn.

Not that I've thought this idea through or anything like that.

What food or drink could you never give up?
I don't think there's anything I absolutely couldn't give up. I really like Reese's and diet Pepsi, so I'd rather NOT give those things up. But I could.


If you could travel anywhere, where would it be and why?
I'd love to visit Ireland, but I'd really love to go to England again with Shawn. I want to take him to Widnes and show him where I lived for a few months. I want to experience Liverpool with him, and I'd love to see Wales together.


Who do you have a crush on?
Have you seen my husband?! Especially when he's chasing Jude around the house? Pretty sure it doesn't get any "crushier" than that.

If you were leader of your country, what would you do?
I'd probably work towards getting us out of debt, but that's just because that's about the only thing I'd be good at as the leader of the country. You would NOT want me making military decisions or rational decisions of any kind, actually.

Give me one savory recipe that doesn’t include cheese.
It doesn't exist. My motto is that cheese makes everything better, and it's a motto that has served me pretty well.


What did you think you were going to be when you grew up?
For the longest time, an actress.


If you could spend just one day in someone else’s body, who would it be?
I'd like to spend a day in my own body before getting pregnant with Jude. I was in really great shape and fueled my body well. I know that bearing children has changed my body in some ways that are forever different (like maybe a stretch mark or two and hips that don't lie), but I do hope to one day get that active self back.

Which woman writer, living or dead, do you admire most?
I don't know that I necessarily admire her (I don't know enough of her personal life to know if she warrants admiration), but I enjoy Sylvia Plath's writing. Books about crazy people and how they got to be that way are fascinating to me.


What character trait inspires you the most?
I think honesty is inspiring to me. In close relationships, I admire honesty in the sense of vulnerability. In less close relationships, I admire honesty in the sense of bluntness. I love it when I'm taken by surprise by someone's honesty.


What is your favorite kind of music?
Um...mellow, soulful music?

What is one fact about you that most people who know you wouldn’t guess?
I like to fish (well, as long as I don't have to touch the worm or the fish). So I guess I like to be away from the world and cast a line into a body of water would be more accurate.


If money were no object, what's one thing you don't own now or can't afford to do that you'd like to have or do?
I think I'd buy us a second vehicle. We're saving to get a small SUV or something in which the soon to be four of us can travel, but I would get Shawn his dream vehicle. He's been the primary driver of our beater cars, and I'd love to get him something that he'd be excited to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment